A Connecticut-based college has been sued by the mother of a student who died three days after participating in an on-campus pancake eating competition for charity.
Rosanne Nelson, the mother of Caitlin Nelson, 20, sued the Sacred Heart University for giving nod to the contest despite knowing the dangers associated with it. The university also failed to assign any medical professional to the site.
Caitlin, an undergraduate student at the college, died on March 30, 2017, after choking to death following eating four to five pancakes.
“Caitlin’s family is bringing this case to expose the dangers associated with amateur eating contests and to help prevent other families from having to endure this type of preventable tragedy,” Nelson’s attorney Katie Mesner-Hage said in a statement.
“These contests are significantly more dangerous than people realize and it’s critically important for the public – especially educational institutions – to understand that certain foods are safer than others and a modicum of forethought can literally save lives.”
By suing the university, Nelson aims to highlight the potential dangers of participating in amateur eating contests.
Meanwhile, the university officials have declined to issue any statement or comment over the lawsuit.